Australia is your chosen study destination?

We are not surprised at all. Many things are going in favor of your decision.

Australian Universities are ranked high on the World University Rankings and you can also find Australian cities on the best student cities rankings.


To study in Australia as an international student, you will need to have a Student visa (subclass 500).

The student visa allows you to:


  • Have your family members (partner, your or your partner’s dependent child) with you during your studies. They can be included in your student visa application or join you later by applying as a subsequent entrant


  • Work up to 40 hours per fortnight (2-week period) once your course starts and when it is in session. During the course breaks, you are allowed to work full-time. An exception of this is when the student is studying a Master or a PhD.


  • Extend your stay by applying for a new Student or another type of visa. International students who have recently completed specific qualifications in Australia might be eligible for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

What do YOU need to know about the Visa application

  • Things you need to know for the visa application:

    Eligible courses of study
    There are over 22,000 courses offered in Australia and we believe you will find one covering your area of interest. The course you will choose must be a full-time course with registration in the CRICOS. You can study an English course, Vocational course (VET) or maybe a University Degree will best suit your career plans. 

    Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)

    To apply and be granted a Student visa you will need to have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). The CoE is an official document issued by the educational provider, confirming that you have accepted a place in a course, comprising data such as the course start and end dates, fees paid and total fees to be paid, information for your Student Health Cover and other details.


    Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

    All students must include in their application evidence that they have adequate health insurance from an approved Australian health insurance provider, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC). OSHC for the whole duration of your stay on a student visa in Australia is compulsory, and also, must cover all your family members included in your visa application.



    English language requirements

    In most cases, it is required for students to provide evidence of their English language skills. The most commonly used English language test is IELTS. Other accepted tests are  TOEFL iBTCambridge English: AdvancedPTE Academic and the Occupational English Test.  All these tests validity is two years, starting from the date the test was taken. However, you will need to check the language requirements for the course you have chosen to study, for the reason that the educational provider might have set a different and higher level of language skills than those of the DHA.


    Financial requirements

    Depending on your country of passport and the educational provider you have chosen for your studies, will be determined if you must provide evidence of financial capacity. If this is required, you will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to cover your travel, 1 year of your course fees, school fees for any school-age children who accompany you and 1-year living costs for you and your family members coming with you to Australia.


    Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)

    One of the most important evidence that you,  as a student visa applicant need to demonstrate, is that you are a Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE). That means your genuine intentions for coming to Australia are temporary to gain an education and then leave the country. You will need to write a statement addressing the GTE requirement and provide evidence for the information written in that statement. Some of the aspects that you should cover with the GTE statement are your previous study, current employment, and potential employment after course completion, ties you have to your home country, etc.


    Other requirements

    International students also need to meet character and health requirements. For this reason, some of the students and their family members will need to take health examinations. Generally, the need for health examinations is determined by the length of your planned stay in Australia and the tuberculosis risk level of your country.


    In line with the length of the course enrolled, your student visa can be granted for a period of up to 5 years. If the enrolled course is longer than 10 months you will usually be granted a visa stay period of 2 months longer than the course. For enrolling a course with less than 10 months duration, you can receive a visa stay period 1 month longer than the course.

    Preparing for a student visa might seem challenging, but don’t give up and get ready for a life-changing experience!

hello@australiancorner.com is a stop where you can get answers to all your questions, dilemmas and doubts.

Don’t wander, just ask for info.