Working and skilled visas

Temporary Skill Shortage Visa


There are many reasons why someone would like to work in Australia. The Country Down Under is among the countries with the highest average salary, has steady economic growth and because of the relatively small population continuously is encouraging migration of skilled workers. On that, you can add the laid-back lifestyle, friendly people, pleasant climate, beautiful nature and many more hidden gems.


If you have skills that Australia needs and you have found an Australian business willing to sponsor you, the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (subclass 482) is the visa option to be considered. The TSS visa allows employers who can’t find appropriately skilled Australian workers to hire and sponsor skilled foreign workers.


The Temporary Skill Shortage visa has 3 streams:

  • Short-term stream,
  • Medium-term stream
  • Labour agreement stream

What do you need in order to apply for this Visa?

Before you can apply for TSS visa, you need to be nominated by your prospective employer to work in an eligible skilled occupation. To nominate you, the employer needs to be approved as a Standard Business Sponsor or have a Labour agreement with the Australian Government.


The Skilled occupation list with information for the stream under which you can apply and the assessing authority for skills assessments, can be found on the official website of the Department of Home Affairs.


You as a TSS visa applicant will need to demonstrate that you have skills, qualifications and work experience for your nominated occupation. The minimum work experience you need to have in the nominated occupation is 2 years in the last 5 years. For some occupations the skills assessment is mandatory and if that is the case with your occupation, you will need to start with the assessment before submitting your visa application. The assessing authority has its own assessment procedures, charges, timeframes and it will be best if you contact them well before you apply for the visa.


There are also English language requirements that the primary visa applicant will need to meet. English language tests acceptable for this purpose are IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic and Cambridge C1 Advanced test. Test scores that need to be achieved depend on the stream applied.


For most accurate and updated visa price information, use the Visa pricing estimator of the Department of Home Affairs.


If you are applying for the Short-term stream, you can usually receive a visa with the right to stay up to 2 years in Australia. With the other two streams, Medium-term stream and Labour agreement stream, the length of the stay in Australia can go up to 4 years.


If your visa is expiring and you want to stay longer, you can apply for a new Temporary Skill Shortage visa or check the options you have to apply for a permanent residence.


hello@australiancorner.com is a stop where you can get answers to all your questions, dilemmas and doubts.

Don’t wander, just ask for info.